I was nominated by My Overflowing Thoughts to take part in the “Free-Style Writing Challenge,” in which you basically write non-stop for 5-10 minutes on a given topic. No editing, no pausing. I have already done a free-style writing post before (which you can find here), but My Overflowing Thoughts is a dear blogger to me, so this goes out to you! 🙂
1. Open a blank Document
2. Set a stop watch or your mobile phone timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever challenge you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds!
5. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
6. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals.
7. At the end of your post write down the number of words to give an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
8. Put the whole document onto your post and nominate 5 others and give them a new topic. Remember to copy & paste the rules in!
My topic is nighttime. Let’s get to it! 🙂
Night time black. Stars still intact. The streetlights glow a jaundice stream of smoke on concrete pavements, a jungle of forests in the city life. Never before had this night felt so calm; it’s atmospheric, an elevation to the sky. 24/7 stores light up the long stretch of the lonely road, bare of cars except for the occasional truck rumbling by, on its way to one of the stores to unload groceries for the day. Smell the mist, clock reaching 3:59 am, and the sky still swirls beneath hooded sweaters, damp and cold on grass, lying in the football fields of a high school memory once long forgotten. It’s been over four years since last returning, and the place still seems like yesterday. To go back to it all: the hallways, the classrooms, libraries, and pep rallies- that is the question. Banners and stripes on the American flag, still flying in the air near the administration building- someone forgot to take it down the day before. It’s eerie, and the day has come.
Time: 5 minutes. Word count: 173
I encourage ALL of you to do free-write. Perhaps this will be your “June Jour” Challenge for the day! 🙂
– The Finicky Cynic
Check me out on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/thefinickycynic