With the winter holidays just around the corner, I thought that I would make a post highlighting the things that I want for Christmas! 🙂
Now, before you start making a scene and saying that I’m being greedy and materialistic, let me tell you that we all, to various extents, are a part of this consumerist society. Yes, we might not admit it, but we are still participants in this grand scheme of sales, purchases, and consumption- all to fuel the big, scary monster known as capitalism (ooh!).
That being said, I am pretty sure that those who say that they “don’t want anything for Christmas” are not telling the truth- in my opinion, it is in human nature to desire something, whether it is frivolous or essential.
But at the same time, we have to acknowledge the difference between “want” and “need.” Using a bit of French here to prove my point, the language itself distinguishes between these two words, through the expressions “j’ai envie de” (“I desire to…”) and “j’ai besoin de…” (“I need to…”). Yet, I have found that these two words tend to be easily conflated in English, in society today, due to, well, materialism. It’s a shame, really.
Any case, I am going on way too long about the technicalities of language and the negative aspects of capitalism (which isn’t always necessarily a bad thing, contrary to popular belief). I suppose that I just wanted to say that, while I do want certain items for Christmas, they are not necessary for my happiness. I’m sure that I will be fine with or without them, but wouldn’t hurt to dream a bit, right?
Without further ado, here’s my ideal Christmas list! 😀
- Enough money (stress on the “enough”) to fund my way through my travels over the winter holidays in Europe.
- Plenty of adventures and rewarding experiences while traveling.
- Clothes from home (wasn’t able to bring all of them with me, and the ones that I did bring are getting pretty…tiring. It’s a shame that sending packages overseas is so damn pricey!).
- Opportunities for a second employment (in conjunction with my current job, as well as afterwards).
- Good health (and knees!).
- A journal with penguin motifs on it (my cup of tea!).
- Speaking of tea…some boba milk tea sounds really good right now. 😛
- New headphone earbuds (and not those that have that weird, tube-shaped structure, or those that fray within a month or so).
- Reese’s Peanut Butter cups (they just don’t exist in France!).
- …absolute happiness with family and friends, despite the distance. As well as new friendships!
Now, what about you? What do you want for Christmas? Let me know!
…and happy holidays! 😀
— The Finicky Cynic
Check me out on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/thefinickycynic